Dessert Inspiration Makes the Best Breakfast


Breakfast for dinner is always a great idea, especially if you start with dessert for inspiration. Today's installment of this lovely trend is Coconut Cream Pie French Toast.

Coconut cream pie is a favorite at our house--don't tell the pediatrician it was probably one of my kiddo's first foods. This French toast does a good job of capturing the pie flavor in breakfast form. I only made a half recipe of the egg mixture (except for maple syrup, I accidentally added the full amount of that). It was more than enough goo for seven thick slices of French bread. I had to make a few other adjustments too--rather than figure out half an egg, I just used four total. I knew extra egginess would be fine in French toast. Also, I didn't have any raw sugar, so I used brown sugar instead. Honestly, I'm not sure the sprinkle of sugar as you are frying really does much. I'm guessing you could leave it off altogether.

I mixed my ingredients together and left the bread soaking for my entire work day. It was nice to come home, pull it out of the fridge, and get right to work cooking it, and it didn't take too long to prep before I left. The chewy French bread I chose held up well to the full day soak. If you are using something softer, I'd limit the time to 4-6 hours.

We loved this recipe. It was sweet without being overly sweet, and just the right amount of deliciousness for a chilly fall night. 

Comments