The Best of Junk Food


So my title is a play on words, but today we have actual junk food. No, seriously, it's called Garbage Bread, but it is anything but. I won't even apologize for the cheese-burgery goodness it is. Is it going to be a regular on your menu if you are trying to live a healthy lifestyle? Probably not. Is it going to be a lot of fun for special occasions or at the end of the week when you've had enough of just about everything. For sure.

This is a pretty easy recipe, that actually doesn't take a lot of ingredients. Plus, you can certainly customize it to your taste. For you pickle lovers in the crowd, I'd certainly suggest adding them to your mixture. I ended up with a few modification, which surprises no one. Rather than cooking bacon, I simply added the Kirkland bacon crumbles. You do not sacrifice any bacon flavor with this choice, especially since you get to determine how heavy the pour is from the bag.😊 I was all set to use Velveeta, but when I reached for it on the shelf, it was dried out. I swapped in a can of cheddar cheese soup, and we were back in business. The meat mixture may have ended up a tad looser as a result, but there were no complaints.


Following the Garbage Bread came homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy Bars. I was surprised how fast these were to make, especially for how good they taste. The ROI is definitely in your favor on these. To imagine the taste, think of Little Debbie Peanut Butter Bars or Take Five candy bars.

A comment or two on making this recipe--I used Townhouse crackers because my family prefers them to Ritz and I had them on hand. I'd suggest perhaps giving Club crackers a try for more cracker coverage. Also, Townhouse are extremely messy and crumbly. The caramel mixture is weird with the graham cracker crumbs, but soldier on, it will work. Finally, give your chocolate mixture sufficient time to set up, otherwise every bar will be quite evident on your hands. But maybe that's not a problem...

These were two winning recipes I'll want to hang onto. I'm guessing I may get requests for the candy bars on a regular basis, as they were loved by all at our table, and among friends we shared with.

Comments