The Guilty Pleasure of Grilled Cheese Pancakes

I love decadent recipes that sound too over the top to be real. As soon as I saw this recipe for Grilled Cheese Pancakes, I knew I had to try it. First, I love grilled cheese. Second, I was intrigued by how it would work as a pancake.

These were delicious. No, they probably aren't for everyone, and no, my waistline can't handle making them on the regular, but I'll definitely fiddle with this idea more than once. I'll also be keeping this basic pancake recipe around for regular pancakes. It made amazingly fluffy and tender pancakes that would be delicious with any topping.

There is a stunning amount of cheese in these babies. You probably don't need quite that much, but you'll definitely enjoy them that way. We topped ours with bacon crumbles and maple syrup. I wasn't sure about the syrup on cheese combo, but it tastes similar to those brie bakes with the sugared pecans or jams. Sweet and salty combos are good in just about every iteration it turns out. 

Ultimately, I will make some version of these again. I think it might be a lot easier, and just about as good, to make cheese pancakes like you do blueberry ones. Use this awesome batter, and sprinkle a healthy amount of cheese on the top side, then flip as usual and the cheese gets all toasty. I happened to use up the rest of the batter this way, and it was amazing, and a lot less clumsy.

All I can say is, these weird food combos usually pay off. Thank goodness there are creative geniuses keeping me supplied with a steady stream of limbs to walk out on.

Comments