Dessert for Breakfast

We're big fans of dessert in this house, so much so that my kiddo once asked for it after she finished her breakfast. This Fruit Cobbler Baked Oatmeal may be the perfect compromise.

First, let me just say, if you're trying to feed a breakfast crowd, this is a great recipe for it. It makes so much! Second, this was not as sweet as you might expect, given the presence of a cake mix. It may all depend on the fruit and how sweet it is. I will say that I enjoyed our doctored up leftovers more than the original dish, so I'll suggest a few modifications as I go.

To begin, I followed the recipe as written using fresh blueberries and strawberries, and frozen (but thawed) peaches. My blueberries and strawberries were not terribly sweet, and the frozen peaches probably weren't either, so I think that may have affected my outcome. If you are using sweeter fruit, you might be fine. Otherwise, I'd suggest a dusting of sugar or powdered sugar across the top of the cobbler right after you pull it out of the oven.

This recipe has a lot of potential and super customizable, so I'm definitely going to keep it around and try it again. As I said, the leftovers (zapped in the microwave with a little bit of butter and a sprinkle of sugar) were very good. Give it a go!


Comments