Quarantine Baking - Part 2

I've been watching with interest as various Internet personalities fill up their quarantined days with posts, live broadcasts, stories, etc.

One such story for "Spreads" from the Pioneer Woman caught my eye. First, it was mostly butter and brown sugar, so I knew it would be a winner. Second, it looked pretty simple and quick, another set of success factors if you ask me. I want to bake while I'm homebound, but I don't want it to take forever, you know?

This recipe is everything you'd think and more. Honestly, I'd eat just the cookie layer, but the chocolate layer was good too. I used a heavy hand with milk chocolate chips, and it got to be a little much. Next time, I'll drizzle the chocolate over the top and leave it spare, or I'll add a coarse salt sprinkle over the solid chocolate layer. Either would bring a better balance for my taste buds.

We also had this Chicken Pantry Stew and it was not remarkable enough to warrant a photo. While the flavors were good, the broth mixture did not get thick and therefore didn't seem very stew like. Plus, there's no salt anywhere in this recipe, and it needs a heavy sprinkle. Finally, who makes stew without a potato? Add one or two chopped potatoes in for more of a stew take.

Verdict? Keep the Spreads, lose the stew.

Comments