Inspired!

I've been recently inspired to do a better job of using the food already in my freezers and cabinets. First, it's good practice, but I often forget. Second, we may be moving in the next year, and the less I have to move the better. Finally, I recently read the Kitchen Counter Cooking School and it reminded me the importance of using the food we already have. It's a very American thing to keep buying more food, in bigger containers, and then throwing much of it away. That's not a terribly flattering account of us, but true nonetheless.

With those thoughts in mind and the revelation that the shrimp I thought I had in the freezer had already been used, I decided to veer off menu and make this Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup. I had everything I needed right and home, and it even used up all my potatoes that were starting to sprout. I was so proud of myself! The soup was easy and delicious, too, so that made it an even bigger win.

I only made a half batch because I didn't need soup for days. We had leftovers, and part of me wishes I'd had a bit more for another lunch or two, it was that good. I know I've got more ham in the freezer, and this will be in the running for ways to use that up.

Comments