Chicken Gnocchi Soup Quest

I am forever on the lookout for the best knockoff version of Olive Garden's Chicken Gnocchi Soup. Long ago I tried this one, and ultimately found out it was better from the freezer than in the original version. However, it still wasn't like you get in the restaurant. Something about the richness or flavor depth just wasn't the same.

So recently I decided to give this Crockpot version a try. I'm all about the easy crockpot soup, and I felt like finding the easier version of Chicken Gnocchi would be the icing on the cake. This is good soup, and it is easy, but it is not restaurant soup. I'm guessing because it's not loaded with cream and other calorie-laden goodness. If I wasn't comparing it to the restaurant version, I would think even more highly of it. There's something delightfully starchy in gnocchi that just makes me happy.

A word on quantity. I made a half recipe and had enough for two meals at our table. If you don't want leftovers for days, you might keep that in mind. Also, you could probably make this richer by using cream instead milk. Finally, I don't know how I felt about the bacon. I love bacon, but the soup doesn't really need it. I'd rather use my calories on a rich base using cream, than have the bacon addition. I think.

Let me know if you try this one and what tweaks you make. Sooner or later one of us is going to find that elusive restaurant dupe.

Comments

crazycatlady16 said…
This looks delicious! I agree that a cream base would likely help with the flavors and maybe the consistency as well. If I were to make this, I would probably half the recipe since I would not be feeding 1-2 people instead of a whole family for many days. I also love bacon! I imagine it would be good in this recipe, but I'll have to try it myself sometime.