Soup Season

Nothing says autumn like a nice steaming bowl of soup.  We are getting some steady fall-like days, so finally I was ready to break out the soup bowls and spoons.

We are big fans of the Chicken Gnocchi soup from Olive Garden, so I was excited to try this version.  After reading some of the reviews about what a large number of servings this recipes makes, I almost halved it.  Frankly, I didn't feel like adjusting the math, and it's always nice to have some leftover soup in the freezer for an easy weekend or weeknight meal.

Because making a recipe exactly is almost unheard of around here, here are my variations from the given recipe:
1. I used two cups of shredded chicken breast I had in the freezer.  Believe you me, that's a whole lot easier than deboning a chicken!
2. I omitted the celery, as we are not fans.
3. I used a combination of bouillon and canned broth.
4. I chose fat free half and half.

This soup was good.  I think.  My tastebuds are singed from doing an early taste test, so I'm not sure my assessment is entirely accurate.  Also, I don't think I've tasted a soup yet that was it's best the first day.  They are almost always better on day two.  I guess I'll find out later in the week when I have the leftovers for lunch.

This would make a great recipe to share with a friend or for a fall/winter potluck.  Surely there's someone you can think of it who would like to share the taste of autumn with you.

Comments