The Family Can Still Surprise Me...

Just when I think I've got our collective family palate figured out, they surprise me. They really surprise me.

I've wanted to try Butter Chicken for the longest time. Some extended family members count it among their favorite foods, and I've had it on the menu more than once; I just never followed through. This slow cooker variety seemed like a worthwhile try for piano lesson day.

At first I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to find red curry paste in our smallish city grocery stores, but Walmart came through with this one. The rest of the ingredients are pretty standard if you've got a spice cupboard with a little variety. I made a few changes in my prep process. First, I just plopped the frozen chicken breasts (I used two) in whole. I knew the slow cooking would eventually make it shred easily. For the red curry paste, I decided to go easy. I started with 2/3 of a tablespoon, and then when I saw the chili pepper marker on the label, I took at least half of that back out. Ours was, therefore, not spicy. At all. I think we were all pretty happy with how it turned out, though. There was a lovely, spicy flavor without the heat.

I had big concerns about my daughter's reaction to curry and spice. She doesn't tolerate heat well at all, and I think this was probably her first curry in 13 years. She hasn't had it much, that's for sure. I needn't have worried. She loved it. Cleaned her plate completely and in record time, and I'm guessing I'll get a request for this dish again very soon. As endorsements go, they don't get much higher do they?

Comments