French Dip Squares - When Delish Has Your Number

I'm not a video watcher. When it comes to almost all things online, I can still read faster than I can wait for someone to show me something. Generally speaking that means I watch very few videos, especially the food ones. For some reason, though, these French Dip Squares caught my eye. They were pretty simple, as French dip sandwiches usually are, and looked like a fun twist on the original. 

I will say one of my favorite things about making this recipe is that the crescent roll dough did not completely fall apart on me. That's highly unusual, especially in the low fat variety. I used a light hand on the mustard since several in my family are not fans, but I would recommend going full strength; the flavor is an outstanding addition.

Other suggestions for improvement:
1. Bake the bottom roll layer (as suggested in the comments) for a few minutes before adding other ingredients. I did not do this because I didn't read the comments until too late. The bottom layer on mine virtually disintegrated--it certainly wasn't pick-up-able--as a result.
2. Consider adding creamy horseradish into the mix, either as a layer with the mustard or on the side.

I wouldn't say this recipe lived up to the usual Delish hype, but I think it totally could with my two tweaks. This would be a fun item to take to a party or potluck when you want to contribute a hearty item, without it being an entree.

Comments