Going Deep

Living in Illinois, many people assume that all pizza is Chicago-style deep dish. In truth, central Illinois pizza tends to have a very thin crust and be cut in squares. The very opposite of deep dish. However, since deep dish pizza is just a couple of hours away, we've developed a taste for that variety too.  Enough interest, that I was curious to try this Cast Iron Deep Dish Pizza.

As luck would have it, my schedule didn't have enough time for the crust in the recipe. Instead, I used the quick rise version that is my regular go-to.  It was more than enough to cover my 12 inch cast iron skillet plus enough for the sides. Then I layered in cheese, Italian sausage and onion, mini pepperoni, pizza sauce, and tomatoes. I highly recommend starting the tomato draining process early. I thought I had gotten most of the liquid off of mine, but I needed a little more time, as a lot of moisture came out during baking.

This was yummy. Go back for more yummy. It was not as crazy cheesy as the in-restaurant variety (you could totally get there), but it also wasn't as insanely rich nor as hard on the waistline. I foresee making this again. Very soon.

Comments