Cast Iron Cooking

I'm finally learning to love my cast iron skillet. Of course I know how wonderful cast iron can be, but when you start new it's just not the same. Slowly mine is becoming more seasoned, and doing all the wonderful things cast iron can do.

One of my favorite things, call me shallow if you want, is that cast iron makes everything look so pretty.  Take this Easy Italian Shrimp Tortellini Bake. Could you make this recipe in Pyrex? For sure, but it wouldn't look half so lovely.

This recipe is easy, so there's lot in that to love, and it tastes like you spent more time than you actually spent prepping. It's mostly about bringing a few premade things together. I used Prego traditional tomato sauce, and some leftover fresh mozzarella from the Pizza Grilled Cheese of a few days ago. I just happened to spot the fresh mozz in the cheese drawer, and it was an inspired decision to use. It ramped up the ooey-gooey factor by five at least. I chose to use regular tortellini instead of whole wheat, but I doubt it makes too much difference in the overall dish.

This was a fun way to use some of the shrimp from my freezer, and gave my skillet the chance to work it's magic making some delightfully toasty cheese bubbles; would absolutely make this again.

Comments