Alfredo for Calorie Counters

I'm not sure how this recipe for Cottage Cheese Alfredo popped into my Pinterest feed, but I was so intrigued by the idea of using cottage cheese as the sauce base in order to save on fat and calories.  Given our love for Alfredo, but my current efforts to cut down on calorie consumption, it was a must try.

First, you need to know that the blend step of this recipe takes a bit of time.  Getting all the ingredients to incorporate took a bit of time, long enough that my daughter thought we were having smoothies.  Luckily her love of Alfredo overcame the lack of smoothie disappointment.  I went ahead and doubled the recipe for a pound of pasta.  We didn't really need that much pasta, but I knew the leftovers would get eaten, plus I'm tired of half boxes of pasta in the cupboard.  Second, make sure that you add salt!  Even though I salted the pasta and the sauce separately, it still needed more.

This was a much lighter take on Alfredo, and it was tasty.  If you are expecting the thick, rich, Olive Garden-esque take on Alfredo, this is not it, but it doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable.  I found it an excellent substitute, and was also much happier about the calorie count.  I highly recommend giving it a whirl, whether you are counting some numbers or just want a lighter, less rich option of a favorite dish.

Comments