Shrimp to the Mac(s)

I always solicit input from the fam on what should go on my monthly menu.  Most of the time they don't offer too many suggestions, but this month my kiddo saw a pin for Shrimp Mac and Cheese and made her request.

I ultimately went with this recipe instead, but either which way, it's a beautiful idea.  I liked the one pot nature of this version, and it seemed a little simpler.

My changes from the original recipe (mostly based on the ingredients I had already):

  • Added ground mustard and dried onion to the roux. (It's not homemade mac without them.)
  • Ditalini instead of elbow macaroni.
  • Regular breadcrumbs and Parm from the jar (the daughter thought this was amazing and yes I realize it's a crime to not have actual Parm on hand).
  • Colby-Jack cheese.
All of the changes worked perfectly.  I would love to try this with the Gruyere and cheddar, so I'll definitely make sure it's on the menu in a new month.

Comments