When the Tasty Food Video Wins...


Food videos rarely catch my eye.  It seems like they take too long to unfold, and then you still don't have the instructions you need to recreate the recipe.  However this Chocolate Turtle Cake video caught my eye at the exact time I was looking for a recipe for the hubby's birthday.  It's exactly the kind of thing he likes, and it seemed pretty easy to follow the steps and a promising outcome.

I liked that the cake started with a mix, but dressed it up a bit.  Then, it used the canned frosting, but also with an added ingredient.  It's the best of both world--convenience, but not at the expense of great taste.

I decided to go a different route and make my own chocolate frosting.  I had concerns about the texture of the canned fudge frosting, and whether it would taste "manufactured".  So, I pivoted to this homemade variety.  It had amazing chocolate flavor, and the texture was beautiful.  I know the flavor has a lot to do with high quality cocoa (thank you, Costco), and this one was perfectly chocolatey.  The biggest issue I had, aside from overtoasting the pecans (always), was with the dulce de lece ice cream topping.  Mine was actually more of a spread, so it was thick.  I tried to melt it in the microwave a little, but had to be careful it didn't get too hot and melt the frosting when I poured it out.

This cake is something.  There's so much going on, and yet it all works together, at least in small doses.  My advice is to cut the pieces as small as you can, it will still be more than enough.  I happy to post a win for the Tasty video.  The cake was fun to eat and felt decadent at the same time.  Perfect for a birthday.

Comments

Wow lots of things going on you got that right! Really tasty idea and i bet your husband enjoyed it! I'm not one for following food videos either but cool when it works out like this.