We Go Together...Like Thai and Mardi Gras

Some days the best menu plan intersects with a great food holiday, but the two don't go together.  At.  All. 

Nevertheless, we thoroughly enjoyed both the Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken and the Quick and Easy Mardi Gras King Cake.  Even if it did seem like we were eating from two sides of the planet at the same time.

First, the Thai Peanut Chicken.  It's always interesting to make dishes with an international flare at home, especially when it's not my usual style or method.  The great thing about this dish is that it is super easy to make, but it tastes fancy!  I realize that's not terribly descriptive, but it really did taste like I'd done a lot more than stir together some sauce and boil some noodles.  The peanut flavor was strong, but not too much.  I'd say the key weakness was a lack of salt.  Surprising, given the soy sauce, peanut butter, and chopped peanuts.  I used rice noodles as the side, but regular rice would work just fine too.

Then comes the King Cake.  I love the idea of King Cake, but most years I'm not interested in doing the actual work to make a "real" one.  This year was no different.  Lucky for me, I discovered a simple dupe that turned out great.  Who knew you could line up cinnamon rolls in a bundt pan, frost it, and put colored sugar on top, and call it King Cake?!  I combined the packaged with frosting with some leftover homemade buttercream, and it was perfect.

We really enjoyed this whole meal, despite the fact that the only thing holding it together was our dinner table.

Comments