A Traditional Shrove Tuesday

I love an excuse for a pancake dinner, so we always celebrate Shrove Tuesday.  This year, as I was searching around for something new in pancakes, I spotted a few different recipes for the traditional British pancake.  Britain, where Shrove Tuesday started.  Perfect.

I got the sense from the recipe that these pancakes were decidedly more crepe-like.  In actuality, they were thicker than crepe batter, but thinner than regular pancake batter.  While tasty, the consistency was not my favorite.  The traditional recipe calls for topping the pancakes with lemon juice and sugar.  I also did orange juice and sugar.  The lemon definitely wins on flavor.  I just wish I liked lemon things more.

While it was fun to try the traditional recipe, it was a lot of work standing over the stove and making each pancake individually, rather than firing up the griddle and knocking the whole batch out at once.  Also, I think we prefer more traditional toppings at our house.  No matter, we had a lot of fun trying them!

Comments

My family is big on breakfast for dinner type ideas as well. I think i may be a fan of this slightly thinner pancakes and toppings added on compared to the big fluffy hot cakes with regular syrup dripped upon them. I like this fact you also aren't a big fan of lemon things because i know i'm finally not alone. I cant stand too much lemon on things either but the orange idea really intrigued me!