Peace, Love, and Fajitas


For February's menu my kiddo and I sorted through the National Days Calendar to help us plan.  Today was National Homemade Soup Day, so I went in search of soup, but also something for the slow cooker since it is piano lesson day.

Enter Cheesy Chicken Fajita Soup.  This is not exactly a dump and go recipe, but rather a two phase prep I had to adjust a bit to accommodate our lesson schedule.  I put the first set of ingredients in the slow cooker on high with about 5.5 hours until dinner time.  Then with about an hour and a half left to go, I lowered the temp, added the shredded cheese (yes, I shredded my own as instructed) and the stirred in the cream/flour mixture.  

When we got home the soup was nicely bubbling and thick and the colors had brightened to look cheesy.  Even better?  It tasted amazing!  Sometimes, soup seems like a bunch of separate ingredients that taste good together, but still a bunch of separate items.  For some reason this blended together perfectly.  No one particular item stood out, but together it was amazing.  Cheesy and creamy with a great blend of chicken and veggies.  We topped ours with sour cream, green onion, and tortilla chips.

I am so excited to eat this soup again.  Not sure when it will make it into the leftover rotation, but I can not wait!

Comments

Big fan of this concept. My mom does something similar when i'm at home over summers. She makes a soup that has very similar ingredients with similar style of prep. IT is delicious so i could assume this is the same if not better. Feel as though i should have tried making this for super bowl. I'm sure would go great with that style of food for events.
Heidi said…
This would absolutely make great game day food!