Slam Dunk and the Extra Point

Now admittedly my post title mixes my sports metaphors, but I need you to understand the rave reviews that happened for not just one but both of these recipes (that I happened to make on the same night).  My family is always complimentary, but this was a bit extra, which I'm totally okay with.

It all started with this Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef.  Due to the timing of our meal, I didn't make these into enchiladas.  Instead, I just let the meat cook low and slow alllllllllllllllllllllllll day.  I did thicken up the juices with a cornstarch mixture, but you wouldn't even have to do that.  One other swap: I used taco sauce instead of salsa because I had a jar open in the refrigerator already.  It totally works, so give either one a try.

On to dessert.  I had been searching for a way to use up leftover Halloween candy, specifically Crunch bars.  For some reason we ended up with 30 or so of the mini versions, so I was looking for something that would use them quickly.  I landed on these Caramel Crunch Blondies after a Pinterest search.  It had all the right notes--blondie, caramel, and used Crunch bars.  Perfect.

And they were.  These were buttery and gooey, just as you'd expect in a blondie with the bonus of caramel and chocolate. Speaking of caramel, I used the caramel bits instead of unwrapping and chopping the big ones.  No one ever wants to unwrap more candy if they don't have to, and in this case, I'd guess I traded it for about 2/3 of a cup of the bits.  I think a swirl of caramel sauce would also be an amazing trade.  I'll save that for next Halloween, I guess.  (Fingers crossed we have leftover Crunch bars then, too.😊)

Update: These leftovers made spectacular burrito bowls.  High recommend!💯

Comments