Eating the Rainbow

I've long heard the guidance to "eat the rainbow".  Some days we do better than others at our house, but I've been trying to improve our veggie consumption and broaden our horizons at the same time.

Enter Sheet Pan Sausage and Root Vegetable Scramble.  Admittedly, I started with the recipe and then veered off into my own creation, but I did try to stick with the spirit of the original. 

My first swap was to use smoked turkey sausage.  We prefer the flavor to other turkey sausage, and the fact that it's precooked made this recipe even simpler.  For veggies I used a combination of brussel sprouts (a first for me), sweet potato, carrots, red pepper, and potato.  I seasoned as directed, but adjusted the cooking time/method just a bit.  I let everything cook together at temperature directed for about 20-25 minutes, with a quick stir in the middle.

Surprisingly, I think the brussel sprouts worked the best with the seasoning combo, and cooking time.  They had a beautiful caramelized color and flavor.  The sweet potatoes and pepper got a little soft, and the regular potato and carrot just didn't get enough flavor so that was a bit of a bummer.

I loved all the pretty colors in this dish.  I don't know if I intend to make it again, but it's possible I'll keep tinkering with the rainbow until I get my favorite one.
 

Comments