Upside Down


My kiddo has been reading some books where the topic is cupcakes.  So, as I was musing on the fact that we needed to make some dessert, she raised the issue of cupcakes.  In her book they made Pineapple Upside Down cupcakes, so she was very interested in trying those.  Since I had an approximation of the necessary ingredients on hand, we proceeded.

I started with this recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes, but since there was an actual Pineapple Supreme cake mix burning a hole in my pantry, I wanted to use that.  On the side of the box was a modification of the mix that used instant vanilla pudding mix and an extra egg, which seemed like it might be a good counter to any sort of fake flavor in the mix.  I also decided to use the pineapple juice drained from the fruit in place of the water called for by the mix.  Since pineapple tidbits were all I hand in the pantry, we ended up using those instead of rings or crushed. 

These little dealies turned out so yummy, great flavor, perfectly soft and sweet.  There's something so deliciously simple about pineapple upside down cake that makes me wonder why I don't make it more often, especially since these were so cute and awesome.

Comments