Summer Nights

It's the height of the summer season, and I'm planning for July with those hot su-huh-mer niiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-hites (please excuse the Grease reference).  There are lots of lighter items, and very little getting baked in the oven.  Somehow, it just seems wrong to deliberately turn on heat when it's hot enough outside.

This summer I'm trying to more deliberately include my kiddo in kitchen activities.  Mostly, I'm very content to do the cooking and clean up, and actually prefer having the space all to myself.  However, that's not what's best for her in the long run, so as opportunities come up, I'm trying to include her in meal preparation and clean up.  If I've got some dishes to wash, I ask her.  She helped me assemble pizzas a few weeks ago, and she's already great at picking up after herself at the table.  This month I asked her to find something she want to make, and make it for our dinner.  She is anxious about the whole thing, mostly getting burned, but willing to take on the challenge.  I can't wait to report how things go! 

How about you?  Is it difficult for you to share your kitchen space? How do you get your family involved?

Comments