Mexican Cornbread Casserole


Mexican Cornbread Casserole is everything you love about tacos nestled alongside beautiful soft, sweet, cornbread.  This recipe took a few a different steps, and I felt like I was making a huge mess in the kitchen, but it was worth it. So worth it.

For starters, I only made a half recipe.  We're a small family that like leftovers, but not that much.  I used a package of Famous Dave's cornbread because I love it's sweet, almost cake-like texture.  I cut all the other ingredients down by half, and even though that meant a little creamed corn, corn, and chilis, left in the can, it was the right call.  I used a mixture of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese since those were already open.  One caution - mine was not done at 40 minutes, so you might want to allow an extra 5-10 minutes of baking time.

This recipe was widely acclaimed at my table.  Good vibes all around.  So, even though I didn't love taking multiple steps, and washing a lot of dishes, I'll bet I end up making this one again.  Also, if you don't like ground beef or want to give some other taco mixture a try, I bet it would work.

Comments