If he asked, I'd give him the moon...


...but this year he wanted chocolate cake with peanut butter and caramel.

Each year I try to get input from my hubby on what he'd like in a birthday cake.  He loves sweets, so he's not picky, but since it's his birthday cake, I'd like him to pick.  This year suggested something chocolate with peanut butter and caramel.

I kicked it up a notch or two with this Chocolate Peanut Butter Salted Caramel Toffee Cake.  It is sinfully rich.  I started with a Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix (made with milk instead of water and an extra egg).  It's our favorite chocolate cake.  Instead of making two boxes worth, I only made one and did two nine inch layers.  I knew we definitely did not need two full boxes worth of cake.

The frosting. Wow, the frosting is just killer, and I even added an extra twist.  Instead of using plain milk, I decided to use the salted caramel creamer instead, just because it fit with the other flavors in the cake.  For the caramel topping I used Smuckers Salted Caramel Ice Cream Topping.  It's awesome, and my fridge is almost never without it.

If you are looking for a a knock-your-socks-off rich cake, this. is. it.  So sweet and decadent you'll want to keep the slices a reasonable size, and have a beverage handy that cuts the sweet down a bit.  I honestly don't know what flavors I'll have to go after for next year's cake, but at least I have a few days/weeks/months to figure it out.

Comments