Sweet Home Chicago

To live in Illinois but not Chicago is to have a love/hate relationship with the city.  Love for it's great tourist spots, excellent shopping, and outstanding food, including deep dish pizza.

Now, it took me a while to come around to the deep dish magic, but I'm a real convert now.  So much so that I'm making it at home!  Add in the beauty that is slow cooking, and I think I'm in love all over again.

Slow Cooker Deep Dish Pizza is easy, scrumptious, and pretty light on the labor.  I started with a refrigerated pizza crust (not Pillsbury, but in the same section of the cooler) and rolled it out just a little to get some height on the sides of my 6 quart slow cooker.  Then I dumped in my cheese, omitted extra toppings because we just don't care that much, and then dumped the sauce and meat mixture over.  I did get a little distracted while I was making the sauce mixture and left the whole pound of Italian sausage in the skillet.  To compensate, I added most of the 15oz can of tomato puree.  It worked great despite the mistake, and the extra meat was perfect since I didn't add any other meats or toppings.

I was so amazed at how this turned out.  Fantastically cheesy with a chewy crust, and altogether yum.  Totally making this again, especially on a summer day when deep dish sounds good, but the last thing I want to do is heat up the kitchen.

Comments