Perfect for a Souper Bowl

Need the perfect soup for the Super Bowl, but don't want to make chili?  I think I have one for you!


Cheesy Sausage Soup that is slightly spicy, creamy, and cheesy all at the same time.  Paired with tortilla chips and sour cream garnish, it was fantastic.

As usual, I'm hard pressed to leave a recipe as is.  The adjustments for this one were a combination of absentminded forgetfulness--I bought the wrong kind of hashbrowns--and adapting for our afternoon schedule.  This is not a crockpot recipe, and I'm sure it doesn't need to be, but a crockpot was an essential element to my being all the places I needed to be during meal prep.  So, here's what I did:

  • About four hours before serving, I browned the sausage, added the flour and let it cook down.  
  • To get things going in the crock, I dumped in the hashbrowns, Rotel, corn, minced onion, and most of the chicken broth.  
  • Once I'd added the sausage to the crock, I used the remaining chicken broth to deglaze my pan, and added everything back to the crockpot.  I turned the crock on low, and let it cook for awhile.
  • With 1.5 hours to go, I added the Velveeta and turned the crock to high.  I stirred everything to help break down the cheese and get it evenly distributed.
  • Finally, with about 15 minutes to serve time, I added in the sour cream.
Now, I'll grant you that the crockpot method was not carefree, but it did allow me to step away to take care of things, as well as make a short trip to the dentist.

Whatever you choose as a method of preparation, I highly recommend this recipe.  It makes a ton, so you'll have plenty to share as you watch the game, or leftovers if you're just making it for home.  Either way, it's a souper win.

Comments