New Year, New Leaf?

We've been enjoying a slow ramp up in the new year.  A little extra family time at home, and really, it's been way too cold to do much else.  


It was a pleasing coincidence to have this Asian Chicken Noodle Soup on the menu in such cold weather.  I'd planned it to give us something on the lighter side, but also on a day with plenty of prep time so I didn't feel rushed.  The end result was a soup with amazing flavor, chock-full of all kinds of goodness that everyone at the table loved.

I had a few switcheroos in this recipe, some due to necessity, some due to choice.  
  • I did not include mirin.  I could not find it at the grocery store, and while I was there, I couldn't even find it on Google to identify an appropriate substitute!  
  • I used a combo of chicken and veggie broth because it was what was in the pantry.  
  • I also cooked the chicken a little differently.  I was starting with frozen chicken breasts so it was easier to slice them into strips while partially frozen, and then cook them that way.  I can't imagine it really makes a difference.  
  • Other swaps included shredded carrots instead of sliced, a mixture of mushroom types that included crimini, and left out the Sriracha in favor of about half the amount of hot sauce.
I really can't emphasize what amazing flavors are in this soup.  Soups notoriously require time to come together, but this was fabu right out of the pot.  I was a little surprised that I got no push back on the amount of veggies either!   Great feedback from everyone--cabbage, mushrooms, and all.

I highly recommend this recipe for your collection, and I think there are plenty of cold days left in winter to try it out!

Comments