Celebrating Love

Valentine's Day is a great food holiday.  I love the idea of making all our favorites with a red or pink twist.

For our Valentine's dinner I decided to go with a family favorite - pasta with Alfredo sauce.  A lap around Costco last week yielded some red, heart shaped cheese ravioli, so that was a perfect swap out for plain, ole non-Valentiney pasta.

I've made Alfredo sauce a bunch of times, and in a myriad ways, but I'm always on the lookout for the next best recipe.  I decided to try this one.  It was amazing.  And runny. Very runny.  I don't know what happened, if the proportions of the recipe is wrong, or if using a different Parmesan was the issue.  Either which way, I found a great recipe that needs some thickening.  The pasta itself was very good, too.  I never know what to expect from those kinds of "fun" pastas, but this one was delicious and a perfect pair with the Alfredo, especially for those of us who like cheese on cheese.

For my Valentine's baking, I made both Glazed Strawberry Muffins and Red Velvet Brownies.  The muffins are excellent, and actually better one day later.  Feel free to up the strawberry jam quantity in the glaze if you want a stronger strawberry flavor.  The red velvet brownies are so thick and chewy.  Perfect brownie texture with awesome red velvet flavor.  A light dusting of powdered sugar means the red velvet flavor isn't buried in a pile of frosting too.  A good choice in this case.

I hope you enjoyed Valentine's Day with your loved ones.  If you are celebrating yet this weekend, here are some great recipes to try!

Comments