DIY Pop Tarts



Occasionally the challenge of a recipe intrigues me rather than the actual flavors,  In the case of these Broccoli, Ham, & Cheese Pop Tarts,  it was a little of each.  The flavor sounded like something my family would like, plus I was captivated by the idea of a savory pop tart.

Thank goodness they ended up pretty simple but yummy.  I used frozen broccoli, pre-diced ham, shredded quesadilla cheese, and Queso Fresco.  It's not exactly what the recipe called for, but the only choices at the store this week, so I went for it.  There's a bit of assembly work involved.  Nothing too difficult really, but just allow time to stuff the pastries and then close them up.

The cheesy flavor on these was very nice, and yet different than if I had used cheddar or a more traditional cheese.  Also, the melt factor was very good.

This is definitely not a recipe I'll make a lot because of the assembly work, but it is fun to think of some different combos that could use the pop tart formula.  I'll also be more likely to try some of the actual fruity pop tart recipes out there, now that I know the work required is manageable.

Comments