Apple Season!

Everyone is all getting excited for Pumpkin Spice season, and I'm far more excited about the prospect of fresh apples!  Pumpkin can have it's season in October, but for now, it's September and clearly apple season.


A quick trip to the orchard, and two bags of apples later, I was in search of a pie recipe.  Apple pie will never be my favorite, and so I'm always looking for a way to "jazz" it up.  This time around I choose a Hot Buttered Rum Apple Pie (with just a tweak of two) .


I don't enjoy making pie crust. At all.  And since the refrigerated ones are really quite tasty, why bother?  So there's that adjustment.  I also did not lattice my crust.  It's pretty and all, but since it just means less total crust, I'm not a fan.

The rest of the recipe went just as indicated for me, and it creates a lovely sweet pie with a bit of a bite from the rum.  The flavors are a lovely mix of sweet and caramelly offset by just a bit of sharpness in the rum.  Add vanilla ice cream on the side, and you have the perfect foil for all of it.

I'm doubtful this will become my all time favorite apple pie, even though it did win compliments from my family.  And even if it did, I'd probably still try new recipes.

Comments

Deublin said…
This looks delicious! I'm a huge fan of apples, and like trying new recipes with them. They are a great to cook with! I cannot wait to see all the other fall recipes.