When a Pie is NOT a Pie

My hubby loves his sweets, so for his birthday I gave him a choice of birthday desserts by flavor category.  He could choose from chocolate and peanut butter, German chocolate, toffee and chocolate, or pecan pie, and I would choose the format and recipe.


Ultimately we landed on the pecan pie flavor, and I knew I wanted to make a Pecan Pie Cake.  It's actually a pretty easy recipe, and I successfully proved you can mess it up and still have it taste delicious.

The recipe calls for dark corn syrup, and since it is listed with the cake ingredients, I figured that's where it went.  It did not register with me that the brushing the finished cakes with corn syrup was where it came in.  Instead, I mixed it into the batter.  Ah well, it still worked.

Some suggestions--this is way too much batter for two pans, the bottom of my oven is proof.  Use three and cut down the baking time a bit.  Make sure you run a knife or spatula around the cake pans before dumping the layers out.  Mine stuck quite a bit, and as a result, didn't look too pretty in a stack.  Finally, toast some pecan halves and add them to the top just to make the pecan pie look a bit clearer.

I am loving the dense pound cake-like texture, plus the sweetness of the topping.  It a great cake, even if a bit unconventional.


Comments

Unknown said…
I love pecans! I will definitely have to make this some time beacuse it sounds delicious!
HRottier said…
It was super yummy. Definitely give it a try.