Tuna for Tuesday

I love a tuna steak.  It's beefy and delicious.  Tuna in any other format, I start to get a little wary.  It's just a crap shoot on how tuna-y the other varieties will be.


So tonight's recipe of Tuna Pizza with Green Peppers was a roll of the dice.  It turned out to be a winner.  First, I did a little research on canned tuna brands to see what has taste-tested the best.  Although I did not find consensus on the best brands among the sources I found, I did find that the big three (StarKist, BumbleBee, and Chicken of the Sea) are generally among the worst.  So I decided to try this Wild Planet Skipjack Light Tuna.  It was large chunks of tuna that didn't bowl me over with fishy smell.  We were off to a good start.

Instead of a homemade crust, I went with a Boboli.  I've grown to like their flavor, and love their convenience.  I did not read the cheese instructions very well, so a full cup of cheddar went in the (light) mayo mix with the green onion.  Celery was not invited to our party.  I added another healthy sprinkle of cheddar to the top of the pizza, because well, cheese.  The final green pepper ring touch was fun and colorful.

I liked this pizza.  I think I especially liked that the tuna was a part of the dish, but not so dominant that it was all I tasted.  I'll definitely adjust my tuna buying habits accordingly.

Comments

Unknown said…
I really liked this article! I am a fish lover but something about Tuna always makes me weary... but this made me want to try some. I've never heard of tuna pizza but it looks delicious and I liked how you added your brand recommendations. I am going to try making this!
Unknown said…
I am also a huge tuna lover and my parents and I are always on the hunt to find the best tasty tuna on the shelf. The tuna we seem to really enjoy at the moment is Bumblebee All white Albacore Tuna with low sodium. I understand Bumblbee is not a top notch brand, but for some reason this specific kind is super tasty. Also, to get ride of the fishy smell, make sure to rinse the tuna with water before cooking. It makes a huge difference.

My go to tuna dish actually requires olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette. Mayo is good, but for a healthier option this is the way to go. I usually make a tuna salad with spinach, tomato, celery, green olives, blue cheese crumbles, and then top it off with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic. You can also add fresh lemon juice, pepper, and even a dash of italian bend herbs. I promise you its lip smacking good and a great meal on the go.
Heidi said…
I think the Bumblebee tuna variety you mentioned is the one that tested well in the pieces I read! Your salad concoction sounds really good. I LOVE blue cheese, and will definitely give it a shot.