I Promise We Eat Things Besides Cheeseburgers




So today's installment is Bacon Cheeseburger Chili.  I promise we eat more than bacon cheeseburger stuff around here, but we do love those flavors, so it's not entirely surprising that it showed up on the menu again. (Full disclosure: we also went out for supper Saturday night, and I had a bacon cheeseburger salad.  We really do love them.)

This recipe took a little bit of brain power.  I was unable to find the Slow Cooker beans called for in the recipe, so I had to substitute these traditional Great Northern beans.  A bit of digging around on their website indicated the beans should probably be soaked overnight in order to cook in a decent amount of time.  A quick call to my sister confirmed that was probably a good bet.  (Life lesson: when in doubt, call your sister.)

So here's what I did.  I soaked the beans overnight, and just let them keep soaking until I was ready to use them around noon time today.  I drained the water and added them to the slow cooker (minus a few since this was a 20 oz bag).  Then I added my ground beef, onion, garlic, broth, and water, turned it to high, and let it cook for a few hours.  With about an hour left in the cooking time, I added my trusty Kirkland bacon bits.  Then, with half an hour left before dinner, I turned the slow cooker to warm and added the cream and cheese.

This smelled fabulous while it was cooking and the flavors were excellent.  It needs salt, so throw a little in.  We topped our bowls with a few bacon bits, some extra cheddar, and Wild White Nacho Doritos.  Yum!

My little complained about the fact that there were a lot of beans in this soup, but I think she liked it otherwise.  She certainly liked it more than traditional chili.  I'm just happy I managed to figure out the bean prep mystery and everything turned out well!

Comments