Lasagna Bowls!

Lasagna is one of everyone's favorite foods isn't it?  All that lovely, cheesy, noodly goodness is divine.


But lasagna is heavy and rich and just a little bit much for an ordinary weeknight meal.  The idea of these Lasagna Bowls sounded like an excellent adaptation.

It's really two recipes in one--first, the five minute tomato sauce, and then the actual lasagna bowl recipe.  The tomato is very easy and I loved the addition of the lemon zest.  It made the whole dish so bright and fresh.  I was unprepared, however, for the heat of that crushed red pepper!  I know we are absolute wimps when it comes to spice, but wowzers!  I would definitely cut back on the quantity I used.  Also, don't be afraid of the amount of olive oil she uses.  At first I thought it would never mix together, but it ultimately did and the sauce consistency was very nice.

As for the lasagna bowls themselves?  We really enjoyed them.  They had all the flavor of a beautiful thick lasagna, but were lighter and much better suited to the 90 degree day we had here.  I will absolutely be making these again.

My chief complaint about this dish?  All the stinkin' dishes!  I had all four burners going on my stove at once, which also means four pans and lids, plus utensils to wash.  Way too many for everyday use.

Comments