Irish for a Day

We have no claim to an Irish heritage in our family, but that never stops me from celebrating the St. Patrick's Day holiday.  It helps that it usually falls during my spring break so I have time to mess around with new recipes.


Since we are somewhat ambivalent about corned beef, I decided to look for a different Taste of Ireland this year.  These Irish Pasties were the perfect solution.  Perfect because they were simple and Irish, and because they are a taste of the Upper Peninsula where my hubby attended school.

I kept our pasties pretty simple.  Roast beef cooked all day in the crockpot the day before, bought pie crust, and boiled potato cubes.  My greatest challenge was fitting all the filling into each crust piece.  A quick brush of melted butter when they came out, just because.

We chose to enjoy our pasties with ketchup rather than gravy, since that is the Yooper way.  (And I'm not arguing with anything that saves me a step or two.)  They were HOT!  And delicious.  Simple, but full of flavor.  Perfect for St. Paddy's Day or a cold winter night.  Your choice.

Comments