Meatloaf Monday on Friday

If you are a regular reader of mine, you'll know that I don't adhere to the "certain dish/certain day" kind of plan.  But, if you are someone who loves a meatloaf Monday, here's a new one for you!


Cheesy Bacon Meatloaf - this stuff smells so good when it's baking.  It's a good thing I know it's important to let meat fully cook, or I would have opened the over and dug in before this had finished baking.  The flavor is pretty good too, and it's super easy to make.  Now, as I was eating this, though, I couldn't help but think what might make this even more bacon cheeseburgery.

Here's what I'd try if I made it again:

  • Add in bacon crumbles to the meat mixture.  More bacon is never a bad thing.
  • Use a sharp cheddar cheese or something stronger than the mild cheddar and mozzarella combination I used.  The cheese flavor was too subtle for my liking.
  • Surprisingly, I think some pickle flavor might be an interesting addition.  I would probably chop up some dill pickles super finely and add them to the meat mixture.  I think the dill tang would be a nice addition.
  • One last brainstorm, top the finished meatloaf with barbecue sauce and french fried onions and put it back in the oven for 5 minutes or so.

It's funny.  Meatloaf is one of those dishes I always think of as tough to make, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.  It's quick to put together, it tastes yummy, and the fam loves it.  What could be better?

Comments

MBMP said…
This looked good so I tried it last night with some of your suggestions. Here's what I added: 1/4 c bacon crumbles, 2 T relish, 1/4 c ketchup, 1 T mustard and brushed the bacon over top with a mix of 1/3 c brown sugar, 1/3 c ketchup. It was delish! Thanks for sharing!