How Corny


Normally I wouldn't make soup for summer, but this Santa Fe Corn Chowder seemed summery.  Plus, as luck would have it, the day was a bit overcast and sprinkly.  All in all not bad soup weather.

The corn flavor in this soup is decidedly sweet.  I live in Illinois, obviously I know that corn is sweet, but the level of sweetness really surprised me.  Now, I used a few drops of hot sauce rather than a jalepeno pepper, but I still don't think that would have countered the sweetness much more.  I decided to add just a bit of red onion since that seems like how all soups start.  We topped our finished soup with an extra sprinkle of salt, some cheddar cheese, and tortilla chips.  It was just okay.

What I've since discovered is that this is a soup that needs some time for the flavors to work together.  So, I recommend making two to three days ahead of time and let it sit.  You'll thank me!

Comments