An Ambitious Day


We had an absolutely perfect first day of summer break that started cool and clear.  Perfect for strawberry picking.  So we set off ready to take on the strawberry fields, hoping to get enough for a pie or shortcake.  As you can see, we picked far more, and in no time at all!  


Most of the day was spent caring for our bounty of harvest.  I went to my trusty Better Crocker cookbook for traditional recipes for freezer jam and Strawberry Rhubarb Pie (strangely, Betty doesn't list this recipe on her own website).  I even made my own crust, which is a minor miracle.  It was so worth it. This pie is good. So good.  I had plans to share it, but I'm not sure I can!


After all my strawberry work, I still had to prep dinner, which in this case was the Dean Brothers' Lighter Spinach and Bacon Quiche.  I love quiche.  It's one of my favorite things to order at lunches out, and it's great comfort food at home.  This particular one was just okay.  I think skim milk is probably the worst thing to happen to quiche.  It just makes it too runny.  I know the recipe calls for 1%, but I'm not buying an extra carton of milk for one recipe.  Not gonna happen.  Ultimately, I think I can find a recipe I'm a little more in love with.

In sum, we had a great day.  I've eaten so many strawberries I can't even tell you.  It was a beautiful start to our summer break together, and we're also ready for whatever strawberry recipes come our way for many days to come!

Comments