Celebrating Cinco


Cinco De Mayo is a great food holiday.  Meaning--I don't have to know a lot about it in order to enjoy celebrating.

Truthfully, I had planned to play it pretty low key this year.  Monday is piano lesson day so we arrive home late and need to eat ASAP.  Add to that a day full of running around and doing errands, and I expected this year's festivities would be barely a whisper.

But then our family photographer called me out on Facebook, wondering what special things I was going to make to celebrate.  I knew I needed to at least try for festive (and definitely creatively prepped).

We started with Verde Chicken Rice Bowls.  I made rice in the slow cooker while we were out pianoing.  To make things a wee bit more flavorful, I added a squirt of lime juice and a little cilantro to the rice.  Perfect subtle flavor addition.  I also experimented with using another crockpot to warm the other toppings.  Using smaller baking dishes placed inside the crock of the other slow cooker, I warmed frozen cooked chicken with green taco sauce, and some corn.  When we got home, I assembled the rice, chicken, and corn, and then topped it with tomatoes, cheese, green onion, and Greek yogurt as a swap for sour cream.  Yum!

In all my trips to Mexico, I've not had a Polvorones Rosa.  In fact, we often miss cookies while we vacation (not that we're really hungry mind you).  However, they do have a cookie on the breakfast pastry buffet that is very similar, if decidedly less pink.  These were very crispy and not overly sweet.  Be sure to stock up on patience before you prep these cookies.  They are a bit dry and require a little TLC to get them formed into cookies and on the baking sheet.

We dined on the patio and enjoyed the last rays of sunshine and cool breeze.  All in all, not a bad way to celebrate.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This sounds absolutely delicious! Mexican food is my weakness and assembling a "burrito bowl" type meal like this may take some time but I'm sure it tastes awesome in the end.
Casey Gordon said…
I wish I had the time and patience to put together meals like this. Maybe I'll be more willing when there's more than just one person eating it!
Anonymous said…
YUM. I love Mexican food and would definitely want to try this if given the chance. I'm big on making tacos and fajitas on my own, but have never thought about making a rice bowl. I'll have to consider it next time I'm in the mood!