Powered Up

Why does breakfast have to be such a drag?  Always the same unsatisfying choices that leave me disappointed before I even sit down to eat.  And sadly, my breakfast neuroses is now starting to infect my kiddo.  Poor girl is disenchanted with her options, can't decide among her usual choices, and ultimately sighs sadly, "I guess I'll have..."


She does love muffins, however, and in an effort to not fill her with straight sugar before sending her off to school, I decided to give these Power Muffins a try.  I'm always a skeptic when it comes to deliberately "healthy" recipes.  There's a reason most muffin recipes have unhealthy stuff in them--because it makes a nice soft, moist muffin that tastes good.  When you start messing with the formula, it's easy for the taste to go awry.

These muffins are pretty good.  Mine turned out a little chewy, but it could be because I had to keep adding more yogurt in order to get the dry ingredients properly mixed.  With less stirring, the texture would also probably be vastly improved.  I used plain Greek yogurt and added honey separately, so I don't think mine turned out as sweet as they could have either.  I would love to try fruit flavored Greek yogurt to see what that does.  One last note, this made far more than twelve muffins.  That's not a bad thing, but if you only have one muffin pan, just something you should know.

I would like to give these another try knowing what I know now, and not forever stirring the batter.  And maybe, just maybe we'll find a new breakfast to love.




Comments