How Many Words?

A picture is worth a thousand words they say, but does that also count when the picture is kind of bad?


Frankly, I really hate the picture of this Slow-Cooker Cheesy Chicken & Potatoes.  It makes the recipe look so lame, and it really wasn't.  I think all slow cooker recipes photograph poorly, but, of course, it could just be me and my iPhone photography skills.

This recipe was a big hit with my dining companions.  (Like how I'm using food critic verbiage?  As if you don't already know it's my husband and daughter.)  They really liked the cheesy sauce spooned over the chicken and potatoes.  I'm normally not a big fan of Velveeta, but in this case it worked.  Combining it with the chicken broth and Worcestershire gave it a little something extra.

What I learned in making this recipe--there is absolutely no reason to cook this for 6-8 hours.  Our chicken and potatoes were done to the point of almost disintegrating.  I would definitely shorten up the cooking time if I make it again.  Also, I think I might keep the potato slices just a little thicker ( I used my mandolin so they were pretty thin).  Finally, add some salt!  You can't have that many potatoes and chicken all in one place and no salt.

Even picture not-so-perfect, this is a good family recipe that's easy and crowd-appealing.

Comments

Casey Gordon said…
Even if you don't like this picture, I think it looks delicious! I'm always looking for more crock pot recipes. I'll have to try this soon.
Heidi said…
Thanks, Casey, I have a complex about crockpot recipes in general. There is an odd flavor chicken sometimes takes on, plus, in general, all normal food textures can get cooked away. It was good, though!