Sweet Holidays

This year I was very skeptical about whether any Christmas baking was going to happen.  With the tornado and playing catch-up, I was pretty sure my time would have to be re-prioritized.  But thankfully, as my final exams ticked off one by one, I found myself with snatches of time here and there to make some delicious (and quick!) Christmas treats.  Here's a rundown of what I shared with our Awana leaders at church.


I started with these White Chocolate Pretzel Krispies.  These have all the goodness of anything you might dip in white chocolate, with none of the mind-numbing dipping.  You'll notice I threw a few sprinkles on at the end.  I actually might stir them in when I make another batch.  These cooled and hardened quick so it was difficult to get the sprinkles to stick.  Yummo and so fast.  Definitely will be making these on a semi-regular basis.


Next I whipped together these Salted Oatmeal Cookies with Dark Chocolate.  Real Simple declared them the best cookie of 2013.  Who am I to question?  I used a combination of bittersweet chocolate squares (chopped) and Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips.


I've been interested in making lots of egg nog things this year, so an egg nog cookie was inevitable right?  Again, these were simple and easy to make.  I didn't have full fat egg nog, so I just melted a tiny bit of butter and then added egg nog to make 1/4 cup.  I doubt it matters really.  Although the previous blogger's cookies look thin and crispyish, mine turned out puffier and soft.  A great egg nog flavor without being too over the top.


Last stop on our holiday sweets tour?  These Peppermint Crumble Bars.  I had fully intended to make them last year, but every store ran out of the Peppermint bark pieces before I could buy them.  They were worth the wait, according to our leaders!  Lots of recipe requests for this one!  And why not, it's a couple simple steps that yields a pretty bar in just a few short minutes.

That's most of my Christmas baking for this year.  Hopefully you can find one of these easy sweets to add to your menu!

With that, I'll wish you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  I am taking some time off to enjoy time with family, eating food others make, and generally taking a break.

Update:  Links added for the recipes.  Apparently my brain took a holiday before I did.

Comments