Always Learning

For my teaching days, I select recipes that are less than 30 minutes in cook and prep time.  Obviously this rules out a lot  of possibilities.  There are still plenty of great recipes to make in under 30 minutes (just ask Rachel Ray), but it does generally eliminate traditional baked casseroles and other favorites like meatloaf.


When I saw that this Cheeseburger Meatloaf Pie was ready in about 20 minutes, I was anxious to give it a try.  I think it has more to do with putting the mixture in a pie plate, rather than a loaf pan, but nevertheless, I've learned a new trick to employ in more meatloaf recipes.

I followed the ingredients included in this recipe.  However, I reverted back to my elementary school days and failed to properly read all the instructions.  Instead of topping the meatloaf  mixture with ketchup and mustard, I stirred it right in.  My mom always mixed ketchup and mustard into her standard meatloaf mixture, so I think that was just my expectation.  I don't think anything was ruined, it may have just made it more "meatloafy" than "cheeseburgery".

This was really good, and it goes without saying that I could have added more cheese.  I'm looking forward to using the leftovers in place of actual cheeseburgers another night.

Comments