Summer's Bounty


Nothing beats fresh summer vegetables.  I'm not that much of a vegetable girl, and even I love them.  Suddenly I found myself knee-deep in veggies, but I made good use of the them with a well-timed meal plan.

We kicked off our meal with the BLT Pizza with Corn and Feta (I chose not to grill the corn).  Fresh cherry tomatoes from my neighbor and corn from a little neighborhood farm stand made this special.

I followed this recipe in spirit, but had the following changes.

  • I went with my own favorite pizza crust.  It's quick and simple and familiar.  
  • I ended up using Gruyere cheese because no Fontina was available at our local store.  I thought it worked fine, but I haven't tasted enough Fontina to really know the difference or not.  
  • I chose to cut back the amount of lettuce called for in the recipe because typically my family  members aren't big into the raw veggies as pizza toppers.  I'm willing to push them, but only so far.
  • I had slightly less than the 4 oz of feta called for, but nobody but me could tell.  Until now, that is.


While we were scouting for fresh sweet corn, one of the farm stands I visited had a lot of zucchini (from what I understand that always happens with zucchini).  Some zucchini cake or bread sounded good to me, and since I don't grow any of my own, 2 for $1 seemed like a good deal.  This Pineapple Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting sounded like the perfect use of it.

I followed the recipe for the cake and baked it in a 9x13 pan.  It only took about 30 minutes to bake, so keep an eye on it.  Between pizza prep, sweet corn prep, and the like, I really didn't feel like doing the work of frosting.  I chose, instead, to use a third of a can of cream cheese frosting and thinned it with a little milk.  There wasn't a lot of frosting on the cake, but it also didn't overpower the cake flavor which was nice.

There you have it, fresh summer veggies, delicious and tasty.  Farm fresh bounty is out there waiting for you to buy it and try it!

Comments