Going Greek

Amongst the college set, that title has an entirely different meaning, but for us here on my little blog, think of it as choosing Greek flavors.


I'm sure this Greek Style Skillet Supper is pretty far from being terribly authentic, but I think it took us out of our comfort zone.  I'm not generally one to put cinnamon on ground beef.  I also liked the idea of a one pot meal that incorporated some healthy veggies.

This recipe is certainly easy to prepare.  There's a minimal amount of chopping, a few cans to open and voila, dinner!  In general my dish mirrored that in the recipe.

  • I chose to use small shell pasta instead of penne, because I already had that on hand.  
  • I ended up having to make a quick swap on the cheese because I didn't have as much feta on hand as I thought.  I threw what I had into the mixture when I added the spinach (we only like fresh spinach, so that's what I used).  
  • Then, just before covering it at the end, I added some fresh mozzarella crumbles to the top.
  • I didn't do this, but in the future I think I would add a little more garlic powder and definitely some salt.

So, will we be going Greek again soon?  I'm uncertain about this dish.  It was good, but I did not fall in love. My daughter actually fessed up to really liking the tomatoes in this dish, which is the opposite of her normal opinion where canned tomatoes are involved.  I also like the idea that we're getting some great veggies right in our main dish.  Maybe I will keep it around for an occasion where I'm looking for Greek flavor, but not of the Gyro variety.

Comments