Souper Burger


For Wednesday's dinner, I had put cheeseburger soup on the menu plan, without really having a specific recipe in mind.

I began my online search with a few specific criteria: no Velveeta (there are serious limitations as to when I will use it), comes together pretty quickly, preference for potatoes over pasta or rice.

This recipe for Cheeseburger Soup I on All Recipes seemed to be a good fit for my criteria.  In general I followed the recipe.  I left out the celery, because we aren't celery people, and substituted frozen shredded potatoes for fresh, just to save a little time.  When I thickened the soup, I combined the three tablespoons of butter with the flour, and then stirred it into the soup and added the milk separately, after the roux was thickening the soup mixture.  It just seemed to make more sense to me in that order.  Finally, I added a few pieces of chopped, cooked bacon so we could have an authentic bacon cheeseburger flavor.

Topped with hamburger bun croutons, freshly shredded cheddar, chopped tomatoes, and green onion--this was awesome.  So delicious.  Can't wait for the leftovers!

Comments