Putting the Skillet to the Test

I have been breaking in a cast iron skillet over the last few months.  I'm anxious for the time when I get the lovely black sheen of a well seasoned skillet, just like Mom had.

So far I've been babying the skillet along, and switching on and off with my non-stick skillet.  I decided to give the cast iron a whirl on this Potato Kielbasa Skillet, since I wanted nice brown potatoes and sausage.


This is such a pretty and fragrant recipe.  I was actually surprised how quickly the sauce disappeared when I added it--you could probably add double without issue.  I used only about 7oz of turkey kielbasa, and slightly less than the four cups of spinach called for in the recipe.  I didn't feel like it upset the balance of the recipe at all.


I always wonder how mustard in dishes is going to go with my non-mustard-loving family members.  Both enjoyed this dish, including the spinach (which I was careful not to wilt too much).  The only drawback I saw in this dish was the number of separate prep and dishes required because of the potatoes and bacon.  However, the taste definitely made a little extra work and a few more dishes worthwhile.

Comments