Breakfast is a Big Deal

Of course you know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, you've heard it a million times and for a variety of reasons.  (I happen to agree, but you didn't need to know that.)  I'm pleased to report that I've stumbled across two tasty breakfast recipes in the last few days.

First, we enjoyed these Pancake Squares for supper last Thursday night.  What an easy and low-labor way to make tasty pancakes.  If you are making these for a family bigger than ours, and especially for a crowd, double the recipe!  At least.  I really enjoyed the thick puffiness of these pancake squares.  My husband suggested I take the single recipe amount and use a 9x13 pan, so the pancakes came out thinner.  I think it mostly gets down to syrup distribution preference.  I don't enjoy a lot of syrup, and I especially hate when pancakes break down because they are syrup saturated.  He, on the other hand, enjoys a high syrup to pancake ratio.  This may be another factor you consider when deciding to make this recipe.

Then for our Sunday School class today, I was feeling a little fall-ish.  I was pleased when my search yielded this recipe for Pumpkin Coffee Cake.  It was a hit!  I followed the recipe for the cake and streusel, but because I didn't have cream on hand, I went another route for the glaze.  I made a simple powdered sugar glaze and flavored it with just a little rum extract and vanilla, butter, and nut flavoring.  I thought it was a great substitute.

There you have it, two ways to make your breakfast (and maybe your dinner) a little sweeter.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh yum! Pancake squares sound like a great idea! My mom has a lake house and in the summer they are CONSTANTLY having people down for the weekend and trying to figure out easier ways to handle breakfast. I'll have to share this with her. I don't know anyone who doesn't like pancakes so this would be a crowd pleaser! Plus it seems like it was pretty low maintenance as far as clean up as well, is that right? We hate doing anything too labor intensive because who wants to be stuck in the kitchen when you could be outside!?
Also I LOVE coffee cake so I'm going to have to try the pumpkin recipe. Or show it to my sister and just take on the hard role of kitchen tester... Glad to see you found some recipes that worked out after the last flops!