More than Mac

Cheese is a high priority for me.  Cheese with bread or pasta also ranks right up there.  I'll try about any mac and cheese there is to be tried.  I love it that much.

I've seen many pinners pin recipes for stovetop mac & cheese.  Last night I went in search of one of those recipes because I decided taco mac & cheese was a good way to use leftover taco meat from the weekend.  When I went to the cupboard for the blue box, I didn't have one.  So, Pinterest to the rescue!

A quick search, and I was off with this recipe from White On Rice Couple.  I had all the necessary ingredients on hand, and it sounded simple enough, if a bit high maintenance.

This makes a thick, gooey mac & cheese that will never be confused with the blue box.  I don't play mac & cheese favorites (although this one is close), so I didn't mind.  I didn't have any problems with burning or scorching, but I did stir almost constantly throughout.  Basically, I used my technique for oatmeal on the stovetop and it appears, the technique transfers well.  For my dish, I used slightly more than two cups of skim milk because the pasta wasn't done, and the goo was getting pretty thick.  On two separate occasions, I added a splash from the milk jug.  (Scientific, I know.)  I also used 2% fiesta blend shredded cheese and a tablespoon of butter.  Everything else was as the recipe indicates.  Make sure you add the ground mustard.  This sauce had awesome flavor, even before I added cheese, and usually I wouldn't say that.

After the pasta was finished, I added my leftover taco meat and let it all sit together in the pot with the lid on to blend.  After I served it, I added some crushed tortilla chips and sour cream.  It would also be fantastic with salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, or whatever taco toppings you usually like.

I might make this again, especially if my cupboard with boxed mac & cheese again goes bare.  It's an easy substitute.  I'd love to see how this tastes with a splash more milk and sharp cheddar.  I bet it's delish!

Comments