New Month, New Menu, New Recipes

July always starts with a bang (literally, just ask all the dogs in the world how they feel about home fireworks).  In my case it seems like my menu started with a bang.  I've made SO many new recipes in the last few days and had no time to blog them!

Because of the Tuscan Pasta holdover, I changed our days up just a bit.  On Tuesday the 3rd I made these Bacon-Provolone Chicken Sandwiches.  It used to be that I shied away from anything using the broiler.  I was unsure how to use it, and I know it requires close watching.  Since I'm usually cooking and doing five other things, close watching of the broiler is not my strong suit.  In this last few months, though, I've become braver and with good results.  These sandwiches are nothing fancy, but we all enjoyed the flavors on the chicken--you definitely need to add salt--and the toasty bread (I used ciabatta).

Thursday brought Grilled Orange Chicken, but I was too much of a wimp to grill in the heat, so I just made the sauce and cooked the chicken in my skillet.  That may be every kind of lazy, but we'd had such hot days for so long that I didn't even care!  This recipe is good, but not exotic.  I used boneless, skinless chicken breast, so maybe the assorted chicken pieces plus grill flavor adds interest.  As is, I probably won't remember to make it in the future it was that ordinary.  Good, but uninspired.

Friday was another 100+ degree day and my first root canal so I decided a simple dinner with soft food might be a good plan!  I've seen many pins for a Panera knock-off mac and cheese so I tried it.  This is a rich macaroni and cheese, but it does take some extra steps.  I only made a half recipe and it was more than enough for our little family.  In the future, I'd add a little onion or onion powder (I really think homemade mac and cheese always needs it).  But truthfully, if I want a rich, yummy mac and cheese that's homemade I'll probably always go for this one.

There you have our week!  Lots of new recipes.  Next time I'm back I'll tell you about all the other new yummy recipes I tried for my niece's shower over the weekend.

Comments